Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Some new stuff

Just a round-up of a few new and interesting things I've noticed out there in the past few days:

The World Union of Jewish Studies has launched a new website. It includes the programme for the upcoming World Congress of Jewish Studies, and a new version of their database.

Volume 74 of Hebrew Union College Annual has been released.

Through the latest AJS Perspectives, I became aware of a new search engine. Through which I found this database of thesis summaries at Penn.

ATID have placed many of Shalom Carmy's articles online.

A complicated new way of making Gemara easier.

And a revision tool for The Rule of Four.

I'm still waiting for Talmudic Studies III. Meanwhile I'm reading a novel, another one of the Da Vinci followups. The following passage stood out in its stupidity:

"A codex -" She stopped and half turned. She seemed nonplussed at having to define so basic a concept. "A codex is just - it's a codex. As opposed to a scroll, or a wax tablet, or a rock with words chiseled on it. A codex is a set of printed pages, folded and bound with a spine between two covers. It's what someone like you would call a book."

4 Comments:

Blogger TRK said...

I bet you hated Da Vinci - am I right? Any chance you'll post a discussion of it?

2:43 PM  
Blogger manuscriptboy said...

Sorry, didn't read it. But I heard enough about it to stay away. I'll probably watch the movie one day.

5:47 PM  
Blogger TRK said...

he's a poor man's Umberto Eco, and let me guess, you are an UE fan? was I right? I found TNOTR to be overly long-winded and intricate.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe =)

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home